Thursday, March 20, 2014

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

I am not a huge reader but I have been trying to read more. Every time I pick up a book I am reminded of how much I do in fact enjoy reading. I attended a luncheon a few weeks ago and heard Cheryl Strayed speak on grief and writing the book Wild.

Photo credit via cherylstrayed.com
I honestly didn't know what to expect and my reasons for deciding to read it were pretty silly- at the luncheon the author mentioned being one of Oprah's book club books, the author talked about knowing Oprah and she mentioned that this book is becoming a movie starring Reese Witherspoon.

These reasons don't exactly scream I am a literary genius.

I'm not going to lie. This book is totally opposite of books I normally read of the chick lit, Hunger Games, Harry Potter genres. I typically prefer lighter books, because I want to know it's going to be a positive escape. My thoughts behind this are simply that life can be so tough sometimes that I struggle to get excited to pick up a book that is tough and sad the entire way until the very end…or it in fact never gets resolved. It's just the way I approach reading and I know it is not necessarily a scholarly approach.

What is the book about?
  • Cheryl Strayed's mother is diagnosed and passes away quickly and unexpectedly from cancer while Cheryl is in college. Cheryl's family falls apart afterwards, Cheryl's life falls apart and she decides to disconnect from the world and hike the Pacific Crest Trail…in the process, finding a way to heal from her Mother's death.
What did I think?
  • I enjoyed the story and I enjoyed feeling like I was part of Cheryl's journey and her hike. Her experience with hiking is the exact same as mine when she begins…nonexistent…so it was interesting to read along as she navigated the wilderness. 
  • There were some very funny parts and then there were some very sad parts. The kind where you do get tears in your eyes. 
  • It also made me in awe of the physical challenges and mental challenges you would face being all alone on a hike like this. I'm not a "hiker" but it really made me impressed by those that are.
  • I will admit after awhile it got a little monotonous reading about the Pacific Crest Trail. 
  • Overall though, Cheryl's story just also really opened my eyes to grief. How important having a support system is in those difficult moments if you should ever tragically lose a loved one. So often I wished someone had been there for Cheryl during her tough moments. Her Dad was not in the picture,  her step dad fell out of the picture, her siblings relationship fell apart and there were no friends in the background to pick up the pieces.It was really something I couldn't imagine.
Would I recommend it? 
  • Yes. But if the book doesn't sound like your cup of tea then I would recommend the movie when it comes out. You can come with me to see it if you want!
I know some people don't like it but I love it when a book I've read becomes a movie because is like my imagination is coming to life. Plus, seeing this gallery of pictures courtesy of Reese Witherspoon on the set has made me really excited! 

And on a shallow note, high five for me reading an entire book! 
It may sound strange but I am pretty excited for that accomplishment too…sadly, it's been awhile. 


1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if that book was good. I totally agree that I like to see the movie version of books I've read. Sometimes they are not as good, but I like to see a visual representation. For some books, it's hard for me to get a mental picture of the characters...sometimes I picture them with this blurred face because my mind just can't conceive what they exactly look like. And by the way, just got my O Magazine and I'm sold on that ballet book! I'm going to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!