Monday, April 28, 2014

Ready- Set- Eat!

A few weeks ago I attended an event called Menu of Menus. Imagine a craft fair but with food. That is Menu of Menus.  It is a big all you can eat foodie event held at a warehouse.

I was a little hesitant to pay the $50 for the food ticket because I really wasn't sure I'd get my money's worth. I can now say I was not only wrong but I got more than my money's worth and was stuffed for days. I tagged along with some of Kristina's friends here in Houston and it was delicious.


When you walked in the door you were handed an all in one plate to carry around with you. It contained a plastic fork, knife and spoon, plastic wine glass with holder and plate.

Your personal "Table To Go"

If you think that wine glass looks unstable, you are not incorrect. It may or may not have somehow tipped over onto everyone's plates except one of us at some point during the night. I kind of had a premonition that based on my previous bad luck with wine, I was in no shape to tempt fate. I opted for white wine all evening so when my prediction came true, I was quite calm and didn't have to rush to rush to the dry cleaners the next morning. 

New meaning to the phrase "to go" food.

I am a quite un-adventurous eater. I am on a regular basis referred to as a "picky eater" and people can often predict what I will order everywhere we go because I order the same thing every time. I don't like the risk of ordering something I will not like and being stuck with it and I also don't like a ton of variety in tastes. But this event was perfect for me because I could try different foods and if I didn't like it, I could just throw it away. 



You were also given a little chip to vote on your favorite restaurants and the one at the end of the night the restaurant with the most chips was declared the winner. I know there are many great places I have already forgotten...but some of my new favorites that I intend to try sitting down at an actual table next time are:

Ciao Bello - winner of the night
  • They had candy shaped pasta shells filled with deliciousness. 
  • I would have never gone to this place because I don't eat fish. Therefore going somewhere that fish is in the title is a no brainer no. 
  • Food item that won me over: BBQ Smoked Pork over a Cornbread "Twinkie" with a Jicama Citrus Slaw
  • I was wrong and will be visiting at some point in my life and ordering that cornbread "Twinkie" and smoked pork again. 
  • We nearly missed them in this side room and they shortly ran out after we stopped by
  • Sweet tooth satisfied.
Freebirds- I know you are thinking how am I lumping Freebirds into this category. Allow me to explain- 
  • Freebirds always stresses me out because I don't know how any of their side options taste so I just stick to plain jane food. So when I tried some new dressings and burrito combos and actually enjoyed them I decided I needed to give Freebirds another chance. 
  • Of course leave it to me to attend a giant foodie event with tons of gourmet restaurants and I leave being the most impacted by my surprise love for Freebirds. 
It was a great night and I was still full for days. The restaurants, their set up, it was all very impressive and I am pretty excited to attend next year with this crew and hopefully a few more! Only requirement is you must be willing to stuff your face…and possibly spill wine on your plate at some point.  

This is a "judge free stuff your face zone." These are my kind of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!