Monday, April 14, 2014

Mastering Colds During The Masters

Disclaimer: If any parts of this do not make sense, please blame the large amounts of cold meds in my system.

Having spent the past couple weeks so busy I thought my head would fall off, predictably I have gotten sick with a cold that can be described as just enough to make you miserable but not enough to send you to the doctor. My favorite kind of illness!!

Here's the issue with getting sick- it starts to happen and I go to my medicine drawer to figure out what I have available to take. First of the list is Airborne. Always Airborne. I know some people prefer other supplements but for me it's Airborne and if you are going to do Airborne you have to do Very Berry.

Trust me. Very berry or bust.


Here comes the tricky part- every time I am sick I can never remember what worked the last time to get me well. It's usually some combination of starting with Claritin…then try Alka Seltzer Cold, maybe Mucinex, maybe Sudafed and then my co-worker introduced me to Advil Allergies and Cold so now I've added that to the mix.

I have been rotating between my head feels stuffed up to my nose won't stop running and back again. It's like this vicious cycle. Mixed in with an occasional sore throat depending on the moment. So I've consequently also been rotating medicines. I am not sure if this is a great idea or worst idea ever and considering my head is actually cloudy I don't know if my own judgment should be trusted or not.

I decided to seek Dr. Internet's help to figure out what these ingredients meant. Again, this is one of those things that I learn every time I am sick and then quickly forget. I should probably take better notes when I am sick but I am usually so busy trying to get well that by the time I am, I just want to move forward.

I found this nifty article that explained these ingredients and why I need them and while you may already know all of this, I clearly don't…so below is how I plan to remember this information in the future when I am sick and deliriously standing in the cold medicine aisle at Walgreens:

1. Antihistamine- this will make a runny nose dry up. It is anti-histamine…who knows what histamine means? Not me. I am going to call this ANTI runny nose.

2. Expectorant- this will make you cough. it will specifically make you cough up gross stuff in your chest. Take it and you can EXPECT to cough.

3. Decongestant- if you are congested…this will DEcongest you. But then your nose is going to run. (Then you have to refer to ingredient 1) It is a vicious, vicious cycle you see.

Sometimes you need both the Antihistamine and the Decongestant because your head is stuffed up and your nose won't stop running. Apparently in these cases you have to find a combo that gives you just enough of a stuffy head and just enough of a runny nose to continue living. This pretty much describes where I am at right now. 

Of course I also have all the other essentials...OJ, soup and other warm comfort foods I have been enjoying all weekend that are super fattening and super delicious and lots of kleenex….and prayer. Praying I live through my cold.



In the meantime, Gregg has greatly enjoyed that I have wanted to do nothing all weekend because for him it has meant a weekend of nonstop watching the Masters..let's face it, that was going to happen whether or not I was sick. Apparently, we all win…except my ability to function like a normal human. 

Lots of magazines. Hundreds of kleenexes. 
Two PJ days. One nose that is trying to kill me.  

I am sure you now feel like you need to go wash your hands so you don't get sick
 after reading this post. Stay well my friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!