Wednesday, April 30, 2014

My Golden Birthday- The Big 30

I am turning 30. On the 30th of April. 30 on the 30th. It's my golden birthday. It feels strange and at the same time like it's time. Time to say good bye to my 20s. A decade that was tough for me, even though I always imagined it being so fun. It was a decade of growing from a single college sophomore into a married adult with a career. That alone is crazy to me.

Please excuse the mess. This is apparently what 30, being married and having a career look like a la 8am. Thanks husband for my new shades!
Instead of being sad though, I thought I'd list out 30 things I know about myself, am proud of, am not proud of, but at the end of the day I know about myself as I head into my 30s.

  1. My sister is my best friend. I am not sure when it happened but somewhere in the past 30 years it did. 
  2. After all the awful dates, guys and dating games, I am married to the best husband and most perfect person for me. It was all worth it in the end and if you are reading this and are still looking for your person, I promise it will be worth it in the end for you too. 
  3. I am still obsessed with my family. They are my people. 24/7. We have each other's backs and I am proud to admit that. 
  4. The working world can be strange. I have met some amazing people in the work force and some of the strangest people in the work force. I finally learned this is applicable to everyone, the world is not out to get just me.
  5. I have met some amazing friends I never would've imagined meeting and I have lost some friends in my life that I never would've imagined losing. This has been the toughest part of growing up for me. 
  6. I learned I can move to cities I have never lived and figure them out. That being said I have also learned it isn't truly a move until you've cried at least once over the boxes and the changes.
  7. On a similar note, I also learned that as much as I hate a city when I move there, I will always be sad and cry when I leave. 
  8. I know a funeral is the worst place to have front row seats. 
  9. I wish I read more. I struggle to finish books. But every time I do I feel so accomplished and energized by the process of reading. 
  10. I am much happier when I am busy. Even though I don't feel happy at the time, I am happier. 
  11. I miss school and getting grades. Work is tough because you don't get grades. You work hard and just continue working hard. There is never the rush of finals being over and going on a break. I miss that.
  12. I can say I am old enough to remember when you had to be in college to be on Facebook. 
  13. Speaking of college, I never thought I'd go to A&M. Now I can't imagine my life had I not gone to A&M. 
  14. My favorite color is still purple.
  15. My favorite animals are still cats and I now own one myself. The fact that I own a pet separate from our family dogs at home has made me feel very grown up. 
  16. I have developed a love of touring hotel lobbies. The exact thing I used to give my Dad hell for making us do as a child.
  17. I love to travel.
  18. I love cozy nights at home.
  19. I love wine. 
  20. I have yet to own a home, only apartments. I am secretly okay with this absence of commitment in my life.
  21. I still don't know how to cook that well. 
  22. I still pick my nails. Occasionally I let them grow and get manicures for awhile. Then I pick them all off again. It's a vicious cycle. 
  23. I worry. A lot. About big things and dumb things. I am not sure if it is fear of the unknown or fear of failure or issues with expectations. But I worry. 
  24. I am slowly but surely admitting to myself that I have been and always will be a planner. I have always gotten made fun of for this and have attempted many times to quit planning, but it doesn't work. You can't quit planning if you are a planner. Instead I am learning to embrace it and embrace getting made fun of for this in the process.  
  25. I love dancing. I really do miss performing in dance recitals and dance team. 
  26. I know that the concept of being in the right place at the right time isn't a concept- it's God. 
  27. I don't like to brag. Which is good except even when it is the good kind of bragging, I still struggle. 
  28. I have figured out I love writing. I love public speaking. I love delivering meaningful messages to people to help them. I love making people laugh. I am trying to figure out if I will ever find a way to tie those together. 
  29. My friends affectionately call me their life counselor and say I missed my calling. I actually love that I am the person people think of calling when they need someone. 
  30. I truly feel loved by the people in my life. Even in admitting that, I struggle because I feel like I am bragging (see #27). But it's true- I am loved. 

 Cheers to 30! Thank you for reading and celebrating with me today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!