Friday, January 24, 2014

Texas Ice Day

Rain all day yesterday + Temperature below 32 last night = Friday Ice Day 
(translation: no work today!)

Disclaimer: I know people all over the country are laughing at Texas and I completely understand. I used to live in Denver and they seriously never canceled anything. I believe the only weather condition that shuts the city down is a full on blizzard. Laugh all you want though. I got to stay home from work today. 

Figuring out if you are getting an ice day is tricky stuff. It requires you to be very alert and focused at a very early hour of the morning. This morning when my alarm went off at its usual time, I reached for my phone and then turned on the TV nearly blinding myself and scaring Chloe from the loud noise and lights in the room so early in the morning. I honestly couldn't even see I was so blind and I couldn't even figure out what I was looking for or what I thought they were going to say to help me out here. I was waiting to see if a school district had been closed so I would know that we had been closed…then I remembered we had an emergency phone line to call so I did that instead. Considering this is my first winter to ever be working at my current job, these are the things you forget exist and do not remember in the wee hours of the morning. It is very surreal though because you are so excited and consequently filled with energy even though you were just given permission that you didn't have to be awake...but if it was the opposite you'd be annoyed and tired that the day would be resuming as scheduled and you'd be forced to be awake.

But here is the thing about an "Ice Day" and my cardinal rule…you don't have to do anything. Seriously you do not have to do anything. My reasoning behind this is that under any other circumstances you would be at work and unable to do anything at home. So take advantage of the free pass you have just been given by life to be lazy and be lazy. 

For me this involves the following:

A nice big cup of coffee on a very chilly morning.

Catching up on Friday blogs, links and articles. Writing my own
& listening to some good ol' Frank Sinatra music.

A little aerobic activity courtesy of Leonard the Bee.
Official uniform of a snow day: fuzzy socks and sweats.
Not pictured: all the snacks I have also consumed today. 
This ice day also includes a moment of silence for Gregg: He had to work today. 


How did you enjoy your snow or ice day? Were you blinded by the television way too early in the morning trying to figure out if you had to go to work today? Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!