Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The LC & AW Summit 2014

In honor of Memorial Day weekend and my proud to be American pride, I thought it was time for my long awaited DC trip recap. Long awaited by who? I have no idea but out there I know someone has long waited for this.

Background: I have these two friends, LC and JC who I met studying abroad in Europe during the summer of 2005. We were a ridiculous trio who became friends together while we wandered the streets of Europe, in between important study abroad activities. JC was the scholar. LC kept us in line. I was there to distract and make everyone dumber. It really had the precise makings of an excellent friendship.

One minute JC would be sitting in conference rooms asking big dignitaries questions I seriously did not understand...and the next minute he was outside participating in a money pouch photo shoot with yours truly:

Because if you studied abroad, you know exactly what an under your clothes money pouch is from back in the day of travelers checks, currency and whatnot.
 Then I went on a search for the perfect hat for Paris. And I mean I searched and I searched. Guess who was there in every H&M along the way providing her feedback and approval, LC. 
You know you have found your bff soulmate when they will not only help you search for the hat but then completely approve as you journey to the Eiffel Tower wearing it. 
Fast forward to 2012: LC and JC got married. At some point way later, I am talking a la 2008, they decided they liked each other. For the record I secretly and I do mean secretly thought they'd end up together eventually and what do you know, I was right.

Now they live in DC. JC moved there in March 2010 and LC moved there in August 2010. Less than a week later she was back in Texas for my bachelorette party. Again, another story for another day.

But they have lived there for now four years and I have not been to see them one time. Not one time. And that's just not okay. Especially because I love DC. So I decided no more excuses. No more Gregg in an MBA program. It was time to commit and head East!

****
To begin I was pretty excited that I would be arriving right in the midst of cherry blossom season. Upon arrival I was ready for the frolicking and picture snapping and as I was greeted curbside by LC she said, Snap a picture of that one because it's the only one you are going to see.

Apparently I was ONE week too early. So. Freaking. Typical.
It was also dreary and rainy and honestly I could care less. First of all I had been awake since about 4:30am for my flight and second, I have been to DC in a very touristy way. This was more parts reunion with DC as a background. Don't get me wrong, a huge bonus background, but still a background.


We finished the evening the way all former roomies and best friends should finish the evening regardless of what city you are in...
Wine & Cheese

Reality TV

And forcing JC to make me a cookie cake

Because nothing says happy Early 30th Birthday like this right here. Disclaimer, JC is quite the chef/baker/master of all things in the kitchen. I did not exactly have to twist his arm for this deliciousness. 
Here's the great thing about visiting LC & JC....these people are both equally my friends because we all met each other as friends together. So visiting them is like the trifecta of reunions. It's quite perfection.

Saturday I woke up only to discover JC working on his home brew as in home brewing beer...his new hobby. Because as LC said, it makes perfect sense that in their cozy townhouse they have room for an entire home beer brewing operation on the landing of the 2nd floor:


I mean do not even ask me what any of this is.

JC realized he needed some new brewing part so he dropped LC and I off at the monuments and met back up with us later. My only request was I need to see Lincoln and lo and behold here he is looking dapper as ever:



After this LC and I witnessed a real life motorcade and JC nearly unfriended us in real life when he found out we'd taken pictures...AND video. Allow me to demonstrate how much I am afraid of JC's patriotism:

Motorcade
Apaprently if you look on instagram with #POTUS you can actually find all the other people out there who JC should be mad at too. Then I stumbled upon this other gem of a patriotic hashtag #PODUS and life with JC and LC has yet to be the same since.

During Senior Awards for Pi Phi, I was voted Most Likely To Be First Lady of the US. Gregg has totally ruined this dream for me so now here I sit on the outside of the gates.
We headed to Georgetown for lunch I got to see a DC protest while JC was stuck in traffic trying to park the car. I was yelling stand up for your liberty and JC was just yelling.
And because I am their favorite Catholic ever, they took me to this great amazing Catholic place I cannot remember the name. Catholic Basillica? I just texted LC and JC- it is the Basillica of the Immaculate Conception. Sounds much better than my version. Amen.
That evening we headed down to Alexandria, Virginia for a little outdoor shopping, sightseeing and eating. It is such a cute town area. While intensely debating the purchase of a scarf LC snapped these lovely gems:

Do I want the scarf?

I'm still trying to decide if I want the scarf and now I think someone is staring at me.
What the heck! Boom. Here it is in the flesh. The infamous "Analisa look." And this attitude is the majority of the reason LC and I are friends.

At dinner while LC and I split a bottle of wine, Mr. Home Brew taste tested/stole ideas.
 

We can drive this guy crazier than anyone else on earth in the shortest amount of time on earth possible...especially with nonsensical historical questions. This is why he named my trip the LC & AW Summit 2014.
Cobblestone streets.

A beautiful sunset but sad to see because it meant the weekend was over.

Even though I didn't see the flowers, I did see the Cherry Blossom Festival fireworks. I swear DC is the only place you can just wander around and find fireworks. Well that and probably Vegas.
It was cold. Like really cold.
And because the weekend would not have been complete without a blind taste test:
Which one did John brew? Which one did he brew last week? And which one did the store brew? I've never felt so much pressure in my life.

This post doesn't even do justice how much fun I had and how thankful I am to these two for a wonderful weekend! They are my best friends and I am so lucky to have inserted myself into their married life forever!  I am already counting down to my next adventure to see them!

#PODUS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!