Thursday, May 29, 2014

Culture Thursdays of Recent

It's Thursday and it is strange that S and I are not heading to the museum tonight. Next Thursday though we'll make up for it. But S and I have had a really fun couple of months exploring and becoming regulars at the MFAH. I have realized this is for several reasons other than the obvious fact that we are friends:
  • When we visit on Thursdays we begin with the Thursday night Happy Hour offered right outside the MFHA's front steps. I always quasi feel like I am on a Thursday night vacation. There is music, wine, outdoor seats and the background of the chic Museum District. 
  • We have the exact same "art attention span"
    • We both look at paintings for the same amount of time. 
    • We both have pretty much the same thoughts. 
    • We both either get it or we don't.
    • And it helps that we both seem to have the same taste. 
  • We also both hope to be extremely rich one day and afford great art for our great mansions.Totally happening.

The week of my big #AnalisasBurning30 party, it only seemed appropriate that I kicked off my 30th birthday festivities with a visit to MFAH to see an exhibit we'd been hearing about for awhile called The Impressionists. I would've taken pictures but when I asked if I could I was told no....and then I thought well glad I asked. Basically the entire exhibit made me want to go to Europe. That should be a good enough summary.

At the end of the night S treated me to birthday drinks and snacks at Hotel ZaZa. Our favorite place for post-museum chatter.
It was quite the perfect way to kick off being 30. One minute I am a adult enjoying an evening of drinks, refinement and culture at the museum. And then next evening, this is happening:

Makes perfect sense.
Fast forward to last week and S and I hit up another MFAH evening event at one of their museums which is actually a house called Rienzi. It is basically a house in River Oaks that you probably drive by a million times and never know that it is a museum. It has furniture, china, paintings, decorations just like it used to and you literally feel like you're taking a step back in time. My favorite part though was that it had a ballroom. A BALLROOM! I have never been to a house that has its own ballroom and now I've decided I need one myself.

Pretending we live here with our Chardonnay overlooking the pool

We love a good Twilight Tour
It was during one of those freakishly pleasant evenings a few weeks ago and perfect timing with the monsoon week we have had around here this week. We even made some new museum friends. We've been doing all of this because S won a free MFAH membership a year ago but we may actually now become members. I already feel so fancy just thinking of the card in my wallet.

Wishing you a Thursday full of culture and if you don't feel fancy than pretend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!