Monday, January 19, 2015

I Don't Do New Year's Resolutions

I am not a fan of New Year's Resolutions. I love new calendars and I love planning for the year but resolutions? Not my thing.

Why? Because honestly I don't believe you have to wait until the New Year to change something. If you decide on October 7 that you want to go to the gym more- start going to the gym more that day. If you decide December 5 that you want to read the bible everyday- start reading the bible everyday that day. You see how the list goes on...

But one thing I did start doing which doesn't really have much to do with the New Year, except the fact that I finally have some free time, is reading more. I kind of forget how much I enjoy reading until I take the time to sit down and read a book. I am kind of a bad reader though because I get so involved with a book, enjoying the characters, that when it ends I sit there thinking how will I ever fall that in love with a book and the characters again....and then the cycle starts over.

I think the other tough part for me is that I like to read as an escape. I don't like reading anything too complicated or that may be depressing. Sometimes I just want to be entertained. I just want to immerse myself into a different world. And I want it to wrap itself up at the end and not leave me feeling depressed....maybe that will change but it's where I am at now with my taste in books.

Two fun things I have done that I recommend- I joined this online community called Goodreads. It's pretty great because I have a kindle but the tough part about a kindle is the lack of going to a book store and trying to find books...sometimes I get overwhelmed trying to figure out which books I would like or should try. Goodreads allows you to import your kindle books into the account, rate them and then gives you recommendations based on what you like. So far their recommendations have been dead on and I am really loving the site.

What have I read recently and loved?

I really enjoyed this book. I also really love Dan Harris. I may try out meditating as a result of this. That's another post for another day.
I know, I do love my GMA anchors. I saw this book at my Mother in Law's house over New Year's and picked it up and started reading it. It's a great story. Robin Roberts has been through so much. The biggest takeaway "make your mess your message." Life is messy, mine especially- wouldn't it be great if we were all more open about the messy?


Yes, I read this book. Do not judge me- you know I love The Bachelor. And I mean at the end of the day, I need to be more grateful for the positives in my life instead of focusing on the negatives....did I love it? Ehh, it was okay.


Loved this book. I want to read more by this author. It's a sweet story of sisters, love, Texas and NYC. I never would've heard of it if it weren't for Goodreads

Loved this book too. I read it because I had heard such great things about this author because of this book which I haven't read yet. It all revolved around a road trip. I've still been thinking about it since it ended. It was also another Goodreads recommendation. 
Have you read anything good recently I need to read? Want to follow me on Goodreads. I can't guarantee you anything mentally stimulating but I can guarantee you some "fun-take a break from life" reads. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh. my. gosh. you MUST read "Me Before You." Must. Now this reminds me I need to read "One Plus One."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay you may have just convinced me! I have downloaded a sample of it and it's been sitting there for awhile but I just wasn't sure...but I think I may now dive in :)

      Delete

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!