Monday, July 14, 2014

Lessons from Ladies of London

I love a good reality TV show but I am choosy and because of this I have every right to say I am not addicted to reality TV. I happen to have my own personal criteria and conveniently, all housewives-related and bachelor themed shows meet it. I suppose if you look at those shows you can figure out for yourself the specifics of my criteria…and if not then that is probably another post for another day.

Most recently I have fallen in love with Ladies of London. I am obsessed. I love it. A lot. Next to the Bachelorette, it is the first show I watch next off the DVR. That my friends is saying a lot.


Recently on the show there has been a lot of controversy between American and British characters and the root cause is the personality types and characteristics of the Americans. I have found this intriguing but didn't think much of it because hello it is a reality show and I do not know how much of this is just making up differences to make up drama.

But then I read this blog post from one of my favorite blogs A Cup of Jo titled 15 Surprising Things About Parenting in England and it turns out that a lot of the drama on the show makes sense.

Americans are in fact more outgoing with strangers, more passionate with their emotions (whether in a good or bad way) and more/less exclusive to making friends. You have to read the article and watch the show to completely understand the connection...but let's just say the most recent fight between Juliet and Annabelle kind of makes sense in real life. Granted most Americans probably don't scream on the sidewalk at their friends during 4th of July parties in other countries ending with one of them running into traffic to get in her private car; however, it would also not cause an additional fight analyzing the behavior. The behavior and the fight would be lumped together eliminating the need for two separate apologies.

Read the article. Watch the show. Thank me later.  
Now you can say you are culturally diverse the next time someone judges your taste in TV which happens to me everyday of my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!