Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Shirley Temple

Shirley Temple passed away today. When I heard this, it made me very nostalgic for my childhood. When we were little, Kristina and I were obsessed with this movie:

The Little Princess

Looking back at the various scenes I was able to find online, there are all these big moments that stood out to me then and still stand out to me today: 

When the boarding school threw her a fancy birthday party while her Dad was away. Was she at boarding school? We never understood where she was living at the time. 

The mean lady we never liked. And then later found out why. We never knew who this lady was…a principal? Head of the boarding school? Something else? 

We were sad she had ended up in this mess but we were glad she had a friend. And who could forget when she got mad and threw the potatoes everywhere screaming "It's not okay. It's not okay." 
We never understood this scene. Ever. 

We were so excited when she woke up with all the nice things.  And the warm rolls. It made us want rolls. But we never understood where all the new stuff came from?
We were mad at the hospital guards for keeping her from her father. 
We celebrated at the end when she was reunited with her father. And Kristina always liked to look at Dad and say "No Daddy, no Daddy."

In finding those clips there are so many thoughts and feelings I used to have watching "The Little Princess" that just came flooding right back. There are also still a lot of questions we had then that were never answered and came flooding right back too. I am glad though. Glad those questions were never answered, glad I still get them so many years later and glad this movie was such a big part of our childhood.

Rest in peace Shirley Temple. You were and will always be an icon to Kristina and me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!