Friday, February 28, 2014

My Official Guide to Girl Scout Cookies


There's an app for that. There is truly an app for everything. And just when I think I have heard or seen it all, here comes a new one. There is now a Girl Scout Cookie App. News to me.

Sidenote- yes I have a few updates I need to do.

I can't even. This exists. Being someone who does not regularly come into contact with Girl Scouts unless it is outside the grocery store or church, I never know where I can buy cookies. Since Girl Scouts won't take credit cards, I need to get cash and then go find the cookies immediately. This single-handedly solves all my cookie buying issues forever.

But the other issue that remains is I don't even know what the cookies are called anymore. I feel so old school referring to things like Samoas and Tag-a-longs and Trefoils. The little Girl Scouts look at me like I might as well be asking them where the closest video store is located. 

So to save all of us further embarrassment and further moments of feeling old, we are all going to figure out what these cookies are called together:

The official line-up

Old Cookies with New Names: 

Thin Mints: Still the same. Still minty. Still chocolatey. Delicious at room temp. Delicious frozen. Delicious.

Caramel deLites aka SAMOAS: Caramel, chocolate greatness plus coconut..which I normally never like so it has always been a mystery to me why I love these but I do.
  • Sidenote- Shortly after we had just gotten our dachshund Lucy, she found a box of Samoas we had left on the floor and ate the entire thing. The entire box. We were so mad because those were our cookies and since this was pre-iPhone and pre-Girl Scout cookie app, we couldn't just go buy another one. Her stomach was huge afterwards and so began Lucy's weight problems.

Peanut Butter Patties aka TAG-A-LONGS: Peanut butter and chocolate. Surprisingly these were never one of my favorites. I don't know why. I do know we always buy a box for my Grandpa.

Peanut Butter Sandwiches aka DO-SI-DOS: Peanut butter cookie. Peanut butter sandwich. Always been kind of boring to me...like "why even bother eating a cookie, boring." Now they are really boring with their new name.

Shortbread aka TREFOILS: Look we all know these are the shortbread ones that come in the yellow box. They are plain but they are delicious. More importantly I know them by their yellow box. Now it is blue. Don't even get me started.

New Cookies:

Thanks-A-Lot: I don't understand why this cookie says "Thank You" but it does. To me it is like a Trefoil combined with a chocolatey inside so every time I eat one I can hear my taste buds saying thank you. I have to give props to the Girl Scouts, I like this cookie.

Lemonades: I am not a big lemon person. I don't like lemon in my water, in my tea or in my cookies. Plus the fact that these come in a yellow box confuses me because if you see above, Trefoils are the yellow box cookie. How dare you try to take over like that?

Shout-Outs: These say "Lead" and I don't understand why these say Lead. I also don't understand what they taste like. Sounds like an advertisement for the new app. Lead me to the cookies? There's an app for that. 

Do you have a favorite cookie? Do you hate the new names? 
As you come across Girl Scouts either at the grocery story or with your new app, I hope this cheat sheet helps you determine which cookies are really your heart's desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Card: Leave a note if you enjoyed your visit!